Chilli Con Carne is one of the children’s absolute favourite dishes and its full of healthy vegetables and beans. Chef Clare takes us step by step through her recipe so you can make it for your little ones at home. Ingredients to feed a family of 4: 2 x Onions (chopped) 1 x Capsicum (chopped)...
Chilli Con Carne is one of the children’s absolute favourite dishes and its full of healthy vegetables and beans. Chef Clare takes us step by step through her recipe so you can make it for your little ones at home.
Ingredients to feed a family of 4:
- 2 x Onions (chopped)
- 1 x Capsicum (chopped)
- 2 x Carrots (grated)
- 4 x Florets of Broccoli (blitzed)
- 1 x Celery stick (blitzed)
- 1tsp Garlic Clove (chopped or crushed) – Fresh garlic is stronger than jarred garlic
- 1tbsp Oregano
- 2tsp Cumin
- 1tsp Paprika
- 1 x Sachet of Mexican seasoning mix (pre bought is better value for money or you can make your own*)
- Olive Oil
- 500g minced meat – optional, add more vegetables and beans if not
- 420g canned tomatoes
- 2 x cups of stock (vegetable or beef)
- 2 x tins of drained red kidney beans (or any other beans you wish to add)
- 3 x tbsp tomato paste
- 1 x tbsp honey
- 1 x tbsp massel beef stock powder – plant based
*1 teaspoon chili powder , 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder , 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 2 teaspoons paprika, 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin, ½ teaspoon sea salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, 1 pinch ground cinnamon, 1 pinch ground cloves.
- Prepare by chopping the onions, garlic and capsicum, grating the carrot and blitzing the broccoli and celery. Add them all to a saucepan along with the olive oil, garlic, Oregano, cumin, paprika and seasoning mix. Cook until soft.
2. Add the meat, frying until brown followed by stock, tomatoes and beans. Add more tomato paste if the dish needs thickening. If you do not eat meat or want to bulk up the dish for additional portions add in more beans of any type or lentils. Bring to the boil and stir until the stock has reduced.
3. Add the tomato paste, honey and stock powder to thicken and sweeten the dish, cooking on a low heat. The longer you cook the tastier it gets. Finally, serve on a bed of brown rice.
At Kool Beanz, we focus on getting your children better prepared for school both socially and emotionally. We inspire their imaginations with innovative, leading-edge, play-based learning programs. Our interactive program is unique to Kool Beanz Academy, giving your child an exciting, rare experience. View our other blog posts or get in touch with us.